Give Your Old Stuff a New Home
If you really want your old "trash" to be reused, but can't think of a use for it yourself, sell it, or give it away.
- eBay, and Amazon.com are great places to sell your used goods.
- Craigslist is another good way to sell or give away your old stuff.
- Freecycle is another way to give away your old treasures in your community.
- For a hassle-free and especially charitable way to get your stuff reused, donate to Goodwill.
A Note On Electronics Reuse
While the reuse of many electronics (like donating old computers to schools, cell phones to domestic abuse victims) is a very good thing, there are some devices that would be better off recycled. Instead of donating your old inefficient fridge or washer, or keeping it in the garage for extra use (which just doubles energy use), you should give these energy gobblers to an electronics recycler so that it can be taken apart, and re-manufactured into something more efficient.
- Stanford Reuse: Stanford Recycling has some great tips for reuse.
Author: Nick Enge
Contributors: Julie Muir (Stanford)
Have something to add to this page? Submit your idea below!
Please remember to cite your sources.