Lotus Live Guide to Units
For information about unit conversion, systems of measurement, significant figures, and orders of magnitude, see this Lotus Live Guide to Units.
Important Conversion Factors
- 1 kWh = 3412 Btu
- 1 Quad = 1 Quadrillion Btu (1015 Btu)
- 1 Btu (British Thermal Unit) = 1,055 Joules = 778 ft-lb = 252 cal
- 1 W = 1 J/s = 3.14 Btu/h
- 1 hp = 550 ft-lb/s = 2545 Btu/h = 746 W
Orders of Magnitude
- 0.001 kWh = 1 Wh (watthour)
- 1 kWh = 1 kWh (kilowatthour-103 Wh)
- 1,000 kWh = 1 MWh (megawatthour-106 Wh)
- 1,000,000 kWh = 1 GWh (gigawatthour-109 Wh) ("giga" or "jigga")
- 1,000,000,000 kWh = 1 TWh (terawatthour-1012 Wh)
- 1,000,000,000,000 kWh = 1 PWh (petawatthour-1015 Wh)
What Does It All Mean?
- When you're sitting, your body is using 60 W. Running, 400 W.
- When your car is going 65 mph, it's using about 33 kW.
- 1 gallon of water = 8.34 lbs of water
- 1 gallon = 3.7854 liters
- 1 Btu = energy to raise one lb of water by 1?F
Useful Conversion Tools
iConvert is built for the iPhone, but is a very easy conversion utility for anyone on the web.
Author: Nick Enge
References: Energy: Its Use and the Environment by Hinrichs & Kleinbach
Have something to add to this page? Submit your idea below!
Please remember to cite your sources.