Electricity and Natural Gas
- Average U.S. Electricity Consumption: 36.28 kWh/person-day (WRI 2003)
- Average U.S. Residential Electricity Price: $0.1065/kWh (EIA 4/07)
- Average 2006 U.S. Residential Natural Gas Consumption: 4,354,689 million ft3 (EIA)
- Average 2007 U.S. Residential Natural Gas Price: $13.75/1000 ft3 (EIA)
- Average U.S. Water Consumption (Residential Use): 100 gallons/person-day (EPA)
- Average U.S. Water Consumption (All Uses): 1200 gallons/person-day (WRI 2000)
- Average U.S. Water Price (Residential Use): $1.50/gallon (AWWA)
- Transportation emissions account for 33% of U.S. carbon emissions. (EIA )
- Transportation in the U.S. evaluated by type of vehicle:
Excel spreadsheet containing information on gallons of gasoline used, average mileage, total miles travelled, average miles travelled per vehicle, total CO2 emissions, and average CO2 emissions.
- Average U.S. Gasoline Consumption: 1.27 gallons/person-day (EIA 4/07)
- Average U.S. Gasoline Price: $2.96/gallon (EIA 7/23/07)
- Emissions from Gasoline: 8.8 kgCO2/gallon (EPA)
- Emissions from Diesel: 10.1 kgCO2/gallon (EPA)
- Average U.S. CO2 Emissions (From Energy): 19.7 mtons/person-year (IEA 2003)
- Average U.S. Waste Production: 1609 lbs/person-year (Living Green)
Collections of Data
- EERE's Building Energy Data Book 2006 has all sorts of building data for the U.S.
- EIA's Natural Gas Monthly has many statistics on U.S. monthly and annual natural gas usage, both national averages and state averages.
Author: Nick Enge and Lauren Leonard
Have something to add to this page? Submit your idea below!
Please remember to cite your sources.