We spend 90% of out time in buildings which we make out of materials that are not always healthy for us.
Landscaping has no home yet, but it is the subject to a guide that reviews lawn mower types on all points - economics, emissions, ease of use. See the Lotus Live Guide to Lawn Care (8 pages).
Modular Building Design
In the near future, building construction times and costs may be dramatically reduced by modular building design with prefabricated modules. See Verbus Systems for more information.
Organizations Working on Green Building
- U.S. Green Building Council administers the LEED green building standard.
- Whole Building Design Guide provides information about green building design.
- Green 2 Green will connect you with green materials and contractors in your area.
- Greener Building has sustainable building products and ideas.
- Building Green provides educational information about green buildings.
Articles About The Importance of Building Green
- It's the Architecture, Stupid! by Ed Masria
Technical Reports About Green Buildings
- Building Energy Data Book (EERE 2006)
- Energy Performance Contracting for New Buildings (RMI 2004)
- Introduction to Green Building Part I: Resource Efficiency (RMI 2002)
- Introduction to Green Building Part II: Environmental Sensitivity with Building Materials (RMI 2003)
- Why Build Green? Case Studies (RMI 2002)
- RMI Green Building Bibliography (RMI 2003)
- Costing Green: A Comprehensive Cost Database and Budgeting Methodology (Adamson 2004)
- The Cost of Green Revisited (Matthiessen & Morris 2007)
Author: Nick Enge
Contributors: Sam Ramirez (Stanford)
Special Thanks: Gil Masters (Stanford) for teaching me nearly everything I know about buildings.
Have something to add to this page? Submit your idea below!
Please remember to cite your sources.